Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Holiday Anticipation Starts Early

My children (and their significant others) are coming home for the holidays. Believe you me, I have envisioned how sweet it will be. The children will get up early and have breakfast with my wife and me and then happily join me on my last minute shopping trip. When we return they will be so excited when I suggest a rousing game of dominos that they will whip up some homemade cookies, and then let me win at the last moment.

Or maybe it won’t go exactly like that!

We have allowed the anticipation of the holidays to preempt the holidays themselves. As we anticipate an unrealistic, perfect event, we are, ironically, condemning ourselves to disappointment. This season let’s spend less time striving for holiday perfection and more time embracing life’s imperfections. Any occasion which brings family together and allows us time to contemplate our myriad blessings is more than enough.

So my wish for you is to have a slow holiday; a holiday that revolves around family and friends, and love and laughter. And to allow that warmth to carry you deep into a happy and healthy new year.

Happy Holidays!

2 comments:

  1. Bravo Dave, Carpe Diem!

    Family and friends, past, present and future, are the essence of whom we are as individuals and of who we are as a collective whole. When we gather, no matter what the holiday is or what our diverse make up is, it is essential to take a step back and feel the picture and pulse of the times because the present quickly becomes the past. This picture further etches our essence.

    Happy Holidays and Good Luck at Dominos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, time to slow down and let the moments happen without always trying to predict their outcome. I think we would all be surprised how much more enjoyable life would be.....

    ReplyDelete