Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A Real Snow Storm


As I sit trying to determine if I should cancel or delay school tomorrow, four days after a winter storm, I am reminded that there are so many things I enjoy about being Head of Duke School. I love being with children; I love the rhythm of the school day. I enjoy seeing faculty grow and deliver a great lesson. Project culminations excite me, and the pace of the year is great. I have even made peace with the downsides--long hours, evening meetings, overseeing carlines. However, there is one part of my job with which I cannot abide.

I hate (even though my mother told me never to use that word) having to decide whether to call off or delay school because of a winter storm. Never is it lonelier, or colder, at the top than when wintery weather is on the way. The night of the impending “winter event,” I do not sleep well. I awake every hour and peek out my window, trying to pierce the darkness and see tomorrow’s weather. Then, at 5:00 am, I stumble from bed knowing I need to make a no-win decision. And what is worse, I need to make the decision with little expertise and knowing I carry a Northeastern bias.

For I am from the Northeast, where you go to school when it snows an inch or even 6. Indeed, when I first moved to the Southeast, before I was a Head of School, I appeared at my school’s parking lot more than once to learn that school had been closed because of an anticipated event or because of a flurry or two. I did not and do not understand that state of mind. However, I now work hard to realize that I am in an area that is not equipped nor experienced with snow. Where Wake County thinks fifty snow plows at the call is being “totally prepared” for a storm, I know the game has changed. Yet, I do not want to overreact and I do think that attending school is important, a good quality for a school person, I think.

So, I try to collect data at 5:00 am in the morning. I listen to the television weather reporter, who wants to oversell the storm because that draws in viewers and ad revenue. I look to see what other schools are doing, knowing the public systems must consider a myriad of factors, I do not—student drivers, buses on the road at 6:00 am and the memory of having students stuck in school overnight, not so long ago. I then look at other independent schools, knowing many of them also have student drivers. I, then, often take to the roads in my car. I try to ascertain how bad the roads are, looking for evidence of the dreaded black ice. Of course, many times the storm is predicted to hit at 7:55 am, right at drop off and my drive is for naught.

And then the loneliness hits. I know the clock is ticking. I must make a decision before 6:15 am and I know I cannot win. Students, and dare I say, teachers would love a delay or a cancellation. Two working parents need to get to work and want school opening on time. If school is open and a real storm hits, I have endangered a whole community. If I delay or call off school for a few flakes, I am a snow wimp, taken in by the Triangle snow panic. Most of these mornings I just want to go back to bed and let someone else make the decision.

However, a decision must be made and make it I will. But just once, I would love a real storm, a storm that drops a foot of snow; a snow that starts Sunday night at 8:00 pm and by the time I go to bed has dropped six inches on the ground and is going strong. Then I could make the decision that night and enjoy a restful sleep. I doubt it will happen.
-Thanks to Paul Bianchi, Head of Paideia School whose laments on snow days inspired my own.

4 comments:

  1. I love this story and I can certainly understand your agony. Personally, I think you made the right call and if I was in your position, I would have done the exact same thing. And that's coming from 1 of 2 working parents! Having said that, I was very excited that school was open today after having my child (only one) at home for two days while I worked from home since my company didn't close. Before this whole mobile employee movement, the physical work site would have closed along with the schools and the snow days would have been a blast! Spring will be here soon and you can rest peacefully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your story... I certainly do not envy your position! There is no question in my mind that you made the right call this time. We loved our snow days but were very ready to get back to school today, and the roads (even early this AM) were just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave,

    True story...we moved to NC from northern IL in 1984. My maternal grandmother came to visit us for a family Christmas a couple of years later ('86, I think). She got in on Thursday and our last day of school was Friday. A snow flurry broke out around 10am. By the time the buses scrambled and got us home, it was over and the sun was breaking through the clouds. Grandma just couldn't believe we were really out of school until my mom, a teacher, showed up 10 minutes later.

    After that I thought that NC was the overreaction capital of the snow world until Kris, Morgan (baby years), and I got sideswiped by a college student in a hurry on I-40. Now the delays and cancellations don't seem like such a bad idea.

    You're not the only one who is conflicted over the NC winter weather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely empathize, Dave, as I too, have to make the dreaded "snow call". So glad to know I'm not the only crazy person out there "testing" the roads! I got a chuckle at the thought of the two of us, and probably a few other administrators, driving around in the dark at 5 am, in the snow, collecting meteorological data.

    For what it's worth, I've actually had much success with the Magic 8 Ball.

    ReplyDelete